I’ll be the primary to confess that I battle with the entire lunch factor. If I haven’t ready something in the beginning of the week (which, to be trustworthy, is most weeks), I find yourself consuming some model of eggs on toast all week lengthy, lamenting the truth that I ought to have simply carved out 20 minutes on Sunday to make one thing extra thrilling.
That is that one thing extra thrilling. This colourful quinoa salad holds up effectively within the fridge all week lengthy, is completely packable, and has sufficient protein and different good issues to maintain you happy. It additionally doesn’t actually take a complete lot of time to assemble, so now I actually don’t have any excuse to not make it earlier than the week will get underway.
A lightweight, recent grain salad that satisfies
Whereas many “mild and recent” salads go away you hungry in an hour, this one is totally different, all due to quinoa. Quinoa is filled with protein and fiber, each of which can hold you feeling happy. To stop it from changing into clumpy or mushy when dressed, you’ll wish to unfold it out on a baking sheet after it’s executed cooking and stick it within the fridge to chill for 10 minutes when you put together the opposite elements. This small step ends in a far-superior grain salad.
I like flavorful aromatics like garlic and onion in grain salads, however I don’t love the stink they go away behind on my breath at lunch, which has a manner of lingering all through the afternoon. I’ve began attain for garlic and herb goat cheese as a substitute, which is available subsequent to the logs of plain goat cheese on the grocery retailer. It lends simply the correct amount of taste (with no hint of stink), and cuts down on an ingredient, so it’s a win-win.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Serves 6 to eight
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 3/four cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 giant English cucumber
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted crimson peppers
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped recent parsley leaves
- four ounces garlic and herb goat cheese
For the dressing:
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crimson wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra as wanted
- 1/four teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
1. Place 1 1/2 cups quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse effectively. Place the quinoa, 2 3/four cups water and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium saucepan and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Scale back the warmth to low, cowl, and simmer till the quinoa is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Switch the quinoa to a rimmed baking sheet, unfold into an excellent layer, and refrigerate till cooled fully, 10 to 15 minutes.
Make the dressing:
1. Place Three tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons crimson wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/four teaspoon black pepper in a big bowl and whisk to mix.
Assemble the salad:
1. Chop 1 giant English cucumber into tough 1\/2-inch items, drain and coarsely chop 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted crimson peppers, and coarsely chop 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives. Add all the things to the bowl.
2. Add the cooled quinoa and toss to mix and evenly coat within the dressing.
3. Coarsely chop sufficient parsley leaves to get 1/2 cup and add to the bowl. Crumble four ounces garlic and herb goat cheese into the salad and toss once more gently to mix. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe notes: The salad may be made as much as in the future forward and saved within the fridge. Leftovers may be refrigerated in an hermetic container for as much as three days.