Whereas Koreans love noodles, the delicacies is barely much less noodle-focused than East Asia neighbors China and Japan. However jajangmyeon is right here to avoid wasting the freaking day (blow your freaking thoughts). It’s gentle, barely candy and unites pork fats with a Korean black bean paste known as chunjang, which yow will discover in any respect Asian grocery shops. Whereas much like the ever-present Chinese language black bean sauce, that is nuttier and fewer salty.
Just like the greasy takeout lo mein everybody loves, these noodles ought to be barely oily, and splatter a little bit when slurped. We like to make use of crimson onions on this onion-centric dish. And when you can’t discover recent noodles,you’ll be able to substitute with a pair luggage of instantaneous ramen (much less the spice packet in fact) and even spaghetti.
And enjoyable truth. Nicely, barely grim enjoyable truth. Jajangmyeon is often eaten on what Koreans name Black Day, which is noticed each April 14. The thought is that those that didn’t obtain a present the earlier two 14ths of the months — Valentine’s Day (February 14) and White Day (March 14, when women return the favor to the boys) — they need to deal with themselves to a bowl of black noodles and commiserate on their lifetime of perpetual singledom.
Serves: 4-6 individuals
Prep time: 15 minutes
Whole time: 40 minutes
1 pound|450 grams recent jajangmyeon/udon noodles (can substitute with a pair packages of instantaneous ramen noodles)
6 ounces|170 grams fatty pork stomach, giant diced
three ounces|85 grams pork shoulder, giant diced
1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 giant Yukon gold potato, peeled and small diced
2 medium crimson onions, diced
½ zucchini, peeled and diced, plus ¼ cup|1 ounce|30 grams julienned zucchini
½ cup|143 grams chunjang (black bean paste)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
kosher salt, to style
¼ pickled yellow daikon, lower into half-moons (non-compulsory)
- Deliver a big pot of water to a boil and add noodles. Boil the noodles for eight minutes till tender (simply past al dente), reserve 1 ½ cups|375 ml of the noodle cooking water, drain and rinse with chilly water simply to chill to room temperature. Drain nicely and reserve.
- Whereas the noodles are boiling, warmth 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on excessive warmth in a wok or giant skillet till calmly smoking. Add diced pork stomach and shoulder and render for two minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for 1 minute, being conscious to not burn. Add carrots, potatoes, onions, zucchini and saute for six minutes, till greens are softened.
- Combine within the black bean paste, sugar, 1 cup|250 ml of noodle water, and salt to style. Prepare dinner for 7 minutes, or till the sauce has thickened and the potatoes are totally cooked. If you might want to add extra noodle water, achieve this.
- Divide noodles into two bowls and high with heat sauce. Garnish with julienned zucchini and pickled yellow daikon. Instead, the sauce could be served over cooked rice for a dish known as jjajangbap.
AUTHOR’S NOTE: This recipe has been reprinted with permission of the creator from Koreatown: A Cookbook.
Get recipes like this and extra within the Munchies Recipes publication. Enroll here.
ORIGINAL REPORTING ON EVERYTHING THAT MATTERS IN YOUR INBOX.
By signing as much as the VICE publication you comply with obtain digital communications from VICE which will typically embody ads or sponsored content material.